Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Year's resolution: keeping it up!

Happy New Year, folks. To all 7 of you readers: have a good one! I'm completely ignoring any etiquette by still wishing people a happy new year mid-January, but who cares.
January has started off pretty hectic, which has become the norm I guess. After returning from my lazy, lethargic and gluttonous Christmas break chez papa et maman I haven't been sitting still. My band Union Town has recorded an EP the past two weeks, and if it wasn't totally against the rules to say that your own record will be the best thing ever, than I would say just that. Furthermore, I have done a big chunk of work on my travel guide on Prague, which needed some alterations. The job's done, so the whole process of making the book will be set in motion now. The guide will be out around May/June, and I'm EXCITED! And if that wasn't enough, I also had an interesting freelance assignement for a Dutch magazine on Europe and 'European identities' called Perron E. Hopefully more of that will follow in the very near future.

The forthcoming weeks will be spent working on a new project I'm doing with Dutch writer Henk van Straten. We're trying to set up a new magazine in the vein of The Believer, the eclectic American magazine from McSweeney's. It's been almost three years since I resigned as an editor-in-chief of my former (university) arts magazine. I miss the whole process of making a magazine very, very much, so I really hope we'll be able to find some funds and pull this off. Fingers crossed!
Blogwise, I'm planning on writing a few pieces on some of my favourite jazz artists. I wanted to do this for a long time. Nothing fancy, just some words that may be of interest to people who like good music. In mean time I will leave you with one of my favourite tracks of the late genius Jaco Pastorius (1951-1987), one of the best and most influential bassplayers ever. Hearing (and seeing) this guy play makes me want to sell my Fender Jazz bass and cry myself to sleep. This track is called 'Portrait of Tracy'.

No comments: